Statistics are harrowing. According to the Center for Disease Control Prevention, approximately 2,000 workers have a job-related eye injury that requires medical treatment every day.
About one third of the injuries are treated in hospital emergency departments, and more than 100 of these injuries result in one or more days of lost work.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health and the Center for Disease Control Prevention created a five-point eye safety checklist for the common work environment.
Remember these basic points when working near potential hazards and receive a complimentary Personal Protective Equipment Wallchart from Graphic Products.
5 Point Eye Safety Checklist
1. Create a Safe Work Environment
- Minimize hazards from falling or unstable debris
- Ensure tools work and safety features such as machine guards are in place
- Train workers and particularly volunteers to properly use tools
- Keep bystanders out of the hazard area
2. Evaluate Safety Hazards
- Identify primary hazards at the jobsite
- Identify hazards posed by nearby workers, large machinery, and falling or shifting debris
3. Wear the Proper Eye & Face Protection
- Select the appropriate eye protection for the hazard
- Maintain eye protection is in good condition
- Ensure eye protection fits properly and will stay in place
4. Use Good Work Practices
- Use caution: brush, shake, or vacuum dust and debris from hardhats, hair, forehead, or the top of the eye protection before removing it
- Do not rub eyes with dirty hands or clothing
- Clean eye wear regularly
5. Prepare for Eye Injuries & First Aid Needs
- Have an eye wash or sterile solution on hand
About Eye Injury Prevention Month
The American Academy of Ophthalmology sponsors an eye injury prevention campaign each October. The campaign highlights hazards, both on the job and at home, that could result in eye loss or vision impairment. Graphic Products offers various PPE for the eyes and face, including goggles and eye wash stations. Visit GraphicProducts.com or call 888.326.9244 for a free catalog.